Spraying the Rays

The Alternative Radiographer

04 November 2006

Curtis-Moore Syndrome

Hello Readers!

I felt that you should be the first to know that following a lengthy and most unpleasant Nuclear Medicine scan last week I have been diagosed with Curtis -Moore syndrome.

Roger Curtis and Tony Moore

(Actually the scan itself wasn't so bad, but honestly, the sort of people that work in these places...well the words incompetent, embittered failed musicians and/or scriptwriters, and nose-picking come to mind.)

First identified by Professor Robert Swipe and described on Swipecast 324, Curtis-Moore Syndrome is an incurable ailment where much loved icons from earlier in the life of the sufferer, notably TV series, appear less worthy, lacking in their original quality, or just plain "a Bit Crap Really."

Swipe first described the symptoms of CMS as a sinking feeling in the soul, and a sense of embarrassment knowing how much one has "gone on about" the show to friends, particularly in relation to "The Persuaders".

Other examples of the phenomenon are "UFO", Gerry Anderson's first TV series featuring actors rather than puppets, where somehow the actors were less convincing in their roles than their wooden equivalents in previous shows like Thunder-Ray, Stingball XL5 and Firebirds. But in 1971, as a 13 year old boy, I just couldn't get enough of UFO. I wonder why that was?

UFO: Star phwoars

A later example and one that led to my own symptoms is Sergeant Bilko, starring Phil Silvers. I have just taken delivery (OK, I rented it) of the 50 year anniversary 3-disc set of the well remembered programme, (Or was it the 50-disc 3 year anniversary set? I forget...) and I have to say; disappointing.

"Disappointing."

There, I said it. You can tell by the inverted commas.

Bilko: financial advice

Either this show wasn't that good, or when I first was introduced to the joys of Bilko reruns in the 80's by my good and sadly departed friend Joshua Zero, we must have been under the influence of jazz cigarettage, or they just haven't picked the best episodes to put on the DVD.

I hope it's the last one.


There is hope for CMS sufferers however. The original series of Star Trek remains a constant inspiration as to what can be achieved with papier mache, washing up liquid bottles, sticky-back plastic and ex B-movie actors.


Star Trek: may the force be with you

And repeated viewing of the video of Dean Windass's 1994 goal against Wycombe Wanderers shows how the brilliance of true genius never fades. I would post a link to it but I don't know how. Instead, and at the special request of a Mr Howes of Waterloo, no Vauxhall, er Clapham, who is 52 this week, here's a photo of Mr Windass.

Windarse: Brentford's new striker

Live long and prosper, readers!

Your friend

Stray (aka YLM746X)



Next week: More pictures of Gabrielle Drake please.

11 Comments:

At 11:56 am, November 05, 2006, Blogger Howesy said...

Okay Stray, I give up, print as many photos of Dean Windass as you like, no really, have you got any that I could post on my blog? I also need a new disciplinary tool to deal with my kids and I think the threat of a glimpse of the Hull Corporation Dustman would do the trick.
By the way mate, I think I'm suffering from Chorlton and the Wheelies syndrome...
Is this a record?

 
At 2:29 pm, November 05, 2006, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

I am suffering from 'SMDMS' syndrome. (You'll probably get lots of panting clicks on Google now, looking for whips and chains.) Six Million Dollar Man syndrome. I...
Sigh
Cannot...
Sigh...
Be...
Cured...

Help meeeeeeeeeee.

We can rebuild him. Preferably with my hands.

Gabrielle Drake is really cool and one episode there was a really lingering close up of the bottom of her mini-skirt. It went on for ages.

 
At 2:29 pm, November 05, 2006, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Star Phwoars..that really made me chuckle.

 
At 3:15 pm, November 05, 2006, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

There you go...done you a Gamma Ray story to cheer you and give you something to read before you retire. I'm sorry it's not a book...hope you like it.

 
At 1:42 am, November 06, 2006, Blogger Istvanski said...

I'm suffering from CBS (Championship Back Sliders) syndrome. It's getting worse every Saturday.

 
At 1:44 am, November 06, 2006, Blogger Istvanski said...

I would've loved to have seen the Windass 200th goal again posted on here. It would've been a fitting tribute to this Brentford player's career.

 
At 3:09 pm, November 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So funny. You are very talented for such an old banger.

Here for the birthday boy, is a little clip of Deano in action. Actually the picture quality is so bad it could be Gabrielle Drake up to something or other on the pitch.

But yes, definitely more photos of Gabrielle Drake - very sexy indeed!

 
At 7:22 pm, November 06, 2006, Blogger Howesy said...

Tess, many thanks for the clip! I have, however, seen enough of the Windasster first hand than is entirely comfortable, but will watch it all the same! Hate to be the harbinger of bad news, but I'm afraid my 52nd birthday is further away than Stray would ever admit. If only he could say the same...

Love you Stray, only joshing!!

 
At 7:24 pm, November 06, 2006, Blogger Howesy said...

Just watched the clip. He was reassuringly far enough away, I am relieved.

 
At 8:26 pm, November 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha... you are funny Molly!

Hi Y

I suffer (only a little bit) from MPI Syndrome!

Only I'm not kind enough to say what that stands for! :O)

Hey, I'm glad my bessie mate (Brookside) comes over here to talk football!

 
At 7:29 pm, November 07, 2006, Blogger Stray Photon said...

Tess...old banger? how do you..know..how old...oh yes, I get it, 13 in 1971 and you're sitting in front of a computer so you worked it out, bugger what a giveaway.

Apart from the breach in the space-time continuum I fell through in 1982 which means i'm still 24 in Earth years...

What-ho Trac. in myline of business MPI stands for Myocardial Perfusion Imaging, but I don't suppose that's what your MPI represents...hmm, intriguing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Blog Directory