Spraying the Rays

The Alternative Radiographer

08 September 2006

The Only Ones


Blimey, what a band. I saw them at Hull University in 1977 and it was one of those gigs that is burned on to my mental hard drive with a setting of "permanent". I was particularly impressed with the way that the guitarist, John Perry, never had to look down at his guitar while he played, even when he was playing not only all the right notes, but in the right order too. He just stared out the audience and sneered at us. I went home afterwards and practiced that...a lot.

Now don't get the wrong impression...I wasn't a student; I was one of those local oiks who had to blag their way in to the Union every time they got a decent band on who otherwise wouldn't play anywhere closer than Doncaster. But once we mastered the skills of talking in poncey upper class Cockerney accents and drinking lager shandy no-one suspected us for a minute. Oh no. University of Life, me.

But "Another Girl, Another Planet"? As they played it I distinctly remember thinking to myself, yeah, not a bad song, but wouldn't it be better as the background music in an advert for a mobile phone network in about thirty years time?

Such vision in one so young (42).

Next week: how I predicted the threat of Global Warming back in 1945. (5A1 Geography)

7 Comments:

At 7:03 pm, September 08, 2006, Blogger West said...

I always preferred the Aerials' version.

But then, I am an emotional retard living a bizarre double life.

What else would you expect.

Mind you, there version of Special View (AKA Telescopic Love) was well and truly ruggish...

 
At 7:04 pm, September 08, 2006, Blogger West said...

That's £their", obviously - not there. I may be an ebotiodal returd but at leest I doe how too speel...

 
At 9:41 pm, September 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Theres an interesting story here. There was another band called 'The Only Ones'...well, as you can imagine it got a bit messy. First there was 'The Only Ones',then'The Only Only Ones', 'Not the Only Only Ones', 'Only the Lonely Ones' (2 band members broke away for this one), 'The One and Only Only ones'...well I could go on because I can.

 
At 1:14 pm, September 10, 2006, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

I reckon we should have an Aerials come-back tour. What do you reckon? Can your persuade ver Bob to come back? I flippin' hope so after I heard the stuff on the Podcast. Wowee Zowee as Frank Zappa would say! I've added a couple more comments on this 'ere page....just so you know that I read it all and I'm not *diving in*.*

*Not to be misconstrued as something a bit rude.

 
At 10:32 am, September 11, 2006, Blogger West said...

I forgot to mention Mollster, the thrusting axework on When She Twirls is none other than A. Radiographer - or A. Lead Guitarist as he was known back then.

See SP, I told you if you didn't cough up I'd tell someone...

i-p-f-h - you're forgetting the You're Not The Only Ones With Mixed Emotions...

 
At 8:41 pm, September 17, 2006, Blogger Howesy said...

could we not spell Ariels right please? Wouldn't want us to be confused with telephonic reception equipment. love and hugs everyone.

 
At 1:50 am, November 16, 2006, Blogger Stray Photon said...

Or was it 1978?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Blog Directory